Low Light Instructor
Course Duration: 4 Days
Cost: $1400 CDN (plus taxes)
Course Requirements: Active LE, Peace Officer, or Military
Low Light Instructor is an accelerated instructors' course focused on scotopic environment manipulation. Instructors will push the boundaries of traditional low light and no light engagements in true three-dimensional environments. An in-depth look into weapon and equipment manipulations, human anatomy, principles of light employment and movement will occur both on the range and in the classroom.
Low light myths and status quos will be challenged as instructors explore the reality of critical engagements through force on force through NLTA. Drills will incorporate threat identification, adverse shooting platforms, and instructor teach backs. It is our goal that the material taken from this class can safely and efficiently be implemented into a department's in-service training program. This is a problem-solving course that will run until the objectives are completed; please come prepared.
Individual Equipment List:
- Handgun with at least 3 reliable magazines (5 if single stack).
- Reliable carbine with at least 3 magazines and durable sling. Carbine needs to be zeroed prior to class.
- Approved duty holster, duty belt and magazine pouches. Holsters must provide an active or passive retention device and be able to keep the holster in place while running or moving in and out of awkward positions.
[No SERPA holsters are allowed]
- 400 rounds of handgun training ammunition.
- 400 rounds of carbine training ammunition.
- ‘Simunition’ or Non-Lethal Training Ammunition (NLTA) weapon system conversion kits for both pistol and carbine.
- 150 rounds of NLTA corresponding pistol ammunition.
- 100 rounds of NLTA corresponding carbine ammunition.
- Valid soft body armor (SBA) and/or ballistic plates if used operationally.
- TQ (CAT of SOFTT) on person is mandatory; IFAK is recommended.
- Eye protection and electronic ear protection.
- Handheld flashlight, extra batteries, and clear eye protection are necessary for low light work.
- 4 chem lights (any color).
- PPE for force-on-force training (NLTA approved helmet, neck and groin protection, gloves, coveralls etc).
- Appropriate clothing: long sleeve shirt, pants, gloves, and knee pads are mandatory. Elbow pads and face wrap are optional.
- Weapons maintenance equipment, notepad, pen, and permanent marker.
- Food, water, and weather appropriate clothing as required.
- Current Canadian law enforcement, peace officer, corrections, or active military status.
- Legal firearms: department issued and/or personally owned with valid paperwork.
- Able to demonstrate and employ safe weapons handling during training.
- Previous intermediate to advanced firearms training to include movement, barricades, communication with others and adverse shooting positions is recommended.